Sunday, April 13, 2008

first weekend....

april 13 2008
was pretty cool overall. Lunch was cut short on saturday in favor of an amazing tahitian feast including pork cooked on rocks, coconut sauce made from well, coconuts and seawater and best of all, raw fish soaked in fermented fish juice (remember that survivor episode?) the raw fish wasnt too bad, it was the aftertaste that killed me. basically, it reminded me of a dead fish in my fish tank. the food was pretty much amazing. i wish i took pictures that day.... :(

sunday:
NOTE TO SELF: YOU SHOULD HAVE GOTTEN A FULL BODY SKIN SUIT!
dang those jellyfish were annoying. what did i ever do to them? our plan was to swim from the beginning of the lagoon, and head towards the outer part of the bay. little did we know that jellyfish no wider than the width of a fingernail clipping would come and embrace us with their stings. Although i had a rash guard, these jellies knew where to sting, including my lip (which went numb for awhile), my legs, neck, and hands. it was kind of hilarious, because those swimming in front would be yelping and screaming, and the person behind would appear to be confused until he or she got stung afterwards.

i've never swam so much in my entire life. i believe the entire swim that morning was a length of 5 km. most of the swim was by myself and the majority of it lacked "life", just peering into the deep blue sea, i could barely see 8 ft below me. i couldnt help but freak out a little. But again, i had a good prayer time by myself, which was very uplifting, recalling various passages in the Bible reminding me of how great God is. some interesting creatures seen that afternoon included another moray eel, an octopus, 2 white antenna lionfish, and touching a picasso triggerfish (silly fish thought it would be smart to hide in a rock sideways)

I have a couple of projects that i have to start on, the first deals with sea urchins, and the other deals with crabs. should be fun.

1 comment:

estella said...

WHA??? I didnt know you started a blog. very cool...i look forward to your adventures! ill read your posts when im not time-crunched like now...but haha i see some animal names. how exciting! i hope youre having a blast!